Friday, December 07, 2007

Starting, or restarting this blog seems appropriate at this time of year. This point was brought home by discovering that the word Nativity means birth, origin and bringing into the world a new life.


Those coming from either of my old blogs know that despite many years, not so much denying my faith, equally I did not observe it. The last few years have seen many changes in my life, and a striving towards growing in all aspects, from my spirituality, faith, as a person and professionally. Over the next few weeks to kick this off I'm revisiting some of those blogs with how I felt then, compared to how I have grown since.


The last year in particular seems to have been a major shift, a letting go of the past in many aspects of life that I have come to understand were holding back my development. Professionally it has seen the birth of my own company, both an exciting experience, but also one of trepidation now that I have employees dependent on my decisions and performance.


The greatest shift has seen an increase in quality time with my son, though the situation is not the best it could be, it is was it is and makes me truly value the time I do spend with him, and we've had more fun than a barrel load of monkeys this year.


Healthwise, from recurring issues earlier in the year I made a commitment to my own health through exercise and eating well, maintaining a high level of fitness throughout the year, making mistakes along the way by shelling myself into a hole overtraining several times, or just not eating enough to sustain those levels of workouts. The later part of the year brought a greater balance, that my training levels were equivalent to Ironman training, and there was no need to go that extreme with no intention of racing. An online personal trainer and meal plan took care of that and saw me shedding pounds to a level that I look in the mirror and am satisfied with how I look.


But even that is a birth, I have entered a half Ironman triathlon next year, so the next 9 weeks will be a drastic upswing on weight lifting intensity, with the start of a greater build in running, swimming and cycling mileage.


Professionally, the first month was beyond our expectations, requiring us to invest to fuel the growth, a couple of lean months with those greater overheads but my re-emergence as a developer together with my partners ability to ferret out potential clients for that service have seen us find a profitable niche to fuel the further growth of the company. Now from my kludged together pieces of code I am immersing in learning SQL to build it properly.


Personally the start of the year saw renewed activity from a situation I had thought long past, but except for a brief piece of surreal online activity and associated bemusement on my part in late spring that seems one dog that has decided to lie down permanently.


Echoing my good friend Mike's recent blog about special people this year has seen for me an emergence of a new group of friends, both virtually and in person through my various activities that leaves me feeling purely blessed in life, completely content with where and who I am.


Its also seen my recent house move, and the delight of my own place, and one that I enjoy, from the freedom and easy access still to running trails and roads for cycling, through the view from my loft window this morning looking out over the frozen lake, the goose island full of its residents, and the snow covered houses the other side. The benefits to mental health having a comfortable and inspiring environment are difficult to estimate until experienced.


Through everything over the last few years, my one constant has been a determination to never give up, as Winston Churchill said "When you are going through hell, keep on going". People eaither around me or who I know of constantly inspire me to be better, to achieve more and that the word "can't" should never leave my lips. Seeing this video on someones page recently brought back the same emotions as when I first saw it, after watching it I think of the tasks or things to do that I am back burnering and tackle them head on..



This video exposes our excuses for just what they are, excuses.


Life, yeah it truly is great ..get out and be great ! :-)

2 comments:

Gaby Hess said...

Happy Blog Restarting!!

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see how your blog develops. You're off to great start, that's for sure.