Monday, March 10, 2008

"I told you I was ill"

I did it again, trained myself into a hole ;-).

No real worries, just a touch over trained, but at least these days I have the good sense to just take total rest instead of scaling back. Almost now right as rain, and raring to go again.

As for the title of this blog, well though its appropriate for what I just wrote, its not the reason for the post, it is the epitaph on Spike Milligan’s grave stone, though the church insisted he had it written in Irish, so “Dúirt mé leat go raibh mé breoite”

“Who he ?” you are probably saying ?

He and his erstwhile partners in crime came back into my consciousness via a recent conversation about British comedy, and Monty Python in particular. Whilst the latter were groundbreaking in tv, they were preceded in Britain many years earlier, and heavily influenced by a radio show that came well before them “The Goons”, starring Spike Milligan, Peter Sellers, Harry Secombe, and Michael Bentine.

It was the first of the truly anarchic British comedies, that completely broke the mould, there was not necessarily a punchline to a sketch, and the more bizarre the situation or humour, the funnier they were.

Peter Sellers obviously went onto great fame in the Pink Panther movies (originally designed to be a vehicle for David Niven), and Dr Strangelove, sadly he was taken too young. Spike, well he stayed Spike, scripting nonsense, and writing nonsense books, but invariably funny, influencing again a great many people including John Lennon and Douglas Adams.

Wonderful people, and worth checking out a little. Here’s the video of their last show (btw the “Charles” whose letter is read out would be Prince Charles). The drink being poured during the first song is making fun that when they originally recorded the show no alcohol was allowed in BBC studios, so they drank milk with brandy in it.

Lastly a slice of pure, and utter silliness. As a child I used to sing it incessantly...for hours

2 comments:

Unknown said...

At least now you know to rest when you are overtrained. I don't think it was overtraining, but just a lot of stress from things last week, but I just had no energy and couldn't stomach the thought of the gym, so I just stayed home.

I was chomping at the bit the next day, so I think it was the right thing to do.

The Guv'ner said...

My dad was a huge Goons fan and Spike in particular. :)