Thursday, January 01, 2009

“Murph”

Happy New Year to one and all ! :-)

As suspected the workout for today being New Year’s Day was going to be a doozy, and it sure as heck was.

“Murph” is one of CrossFit’s Hero workouts, so named as they are dedicated to members of the Forces, Police or Firefighters who have died in the course of duty. This one is in memory of Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy, 29, of Patchogue, N.Y., who was killed in Afghanistan on June 28th, 2005.

Adding that memory puts some extra spice into giving my best to the workout itself which consists of:

1 mile run
100 pull-ups
200 push-ups
300 squats
1 mile run

Being a runner the first 1 mile scares me not one iota, the second one after all those squats was going to be interesting to say the least.

THe instructions suggest the exercises other than the runs could be broken up or partitioned in any way you choose, anyone who can do 100 pull-ups straight has to be a complete monster. I chose the advice of several of the commenters to break it up into a “Cindy”, so 20 circuits of 5 pull-ups, 10 push-ups and 15 squats.

Unfortunately due to NY hours the gym closed before I could complete it as RX’d, but managed the 1 mile run, 18 circuits and .75 of the last run before they shut the lights out on me, a quick 2 circuits of the outside of the gym including the car park kept it as honest as possible - total time 54 minutes. If I’d skipped a circuit of my ab/core workout I could have done it whole, but still, thats four more circuits than I managed on “Cindy”

Totals :

Incline sit-ups (*) - 60
Hanging knee raises - 60
Back extensions - 60
Side planks - 45

Pull-ups - 90
Push-ups - 180
Squats - 270

Total - 765

Wrecked/wasted/destroyed are all good descriptions of how I felt afterwards.

Now sitting with the aroma of my Chicken Cacciatora wafting up the stairs, and then going to the Movies later. A great start to the new year :-)

No comments: